The Best LSAT Test Prep Courses 2018 (Law School Admission Test)
The law school admission test is a very important priority for those that dream of conquering the legal world. Not only do most law schools require applicants to submit their LSAT results, but those that have performed exceptionally well have a much better chance of gaining a place at one of the top schools. In this article we will share fundamental tips and list 5 of the best LSAT prep courses to get ready for the test.
A tertiary education is expensive and the resources available to educational institutions are limited. The purpose of the LSAT is to determine whether applicants at law schools have the critical skills that are deemed absolutely vital for success.
The LSAT measures the ability of think critically, to organize information logically, to comprehend complex and lengthy text with insight and to objectively evaluate and analyze the reasoning of others. These are complex issues and almost nobody ever achieve their full potential without proper prior preparations.
How to Study for LSAT
To perform well needs iron discipline and sheer determination but try these tips too:
- Enroll for a prep course. A formal course can be of great help.
- Keep practicing. Practice continually in realistic conditions (a crowded room).
- Study logic as a subject. The LSAT places great emphasis on logic.
- Start your preparations early. Start preparing at least six months ahead of time.
- Pay close attention to the rules of the test. This will help you prioritize your efforts during the actual test.
How to Select the Right Course
Course format. Choose an in-person course if you prefer a structured learning environment. Online and self-paced courses are better for those with busy schedules.
Instructor. Some instructors have not even sat for the LSAT or attended law school! So make sure your teacher is qualified and proficient.
Course resources. Some providers use practice questions and sessions that they have designed themselves. You may prefer a prep course that is based on real LSAT questions and formats.
Support. Is comprehensive student support available? Questions will come up, for sure.
Below is an overview of five LSAT prep courses that fulfill the criteria mentioned above.
1. Kaplan LSAT Prep Courses
Kaplan offers a highly regarded course for LSAT candidates. They even offer their course in three different formats:
LSAT Prep – In Person
- You will benefit from seven lessons, four hours each, by an expert instructor.
- Unlimited access to the LSAT Channel.
- Three full-length, realistic LSAT practice sessions proctored in-class.
- More than 80 self proctoring tools.
- An extensive LSAT practice library, lesson books and Course book.
- Comprehensive reports and study recommendations.
The choice of In-Person Plus which will also give you three hours’ worth of one-on-one instruction.
LSAT Prep – Live Online
The only difference between this course and the in-person option is that this one allows you to attend the course online, using your laptop or smart device.
LSAT Prep – Self Paced
This option allows you to study when and where you please. You will have access to more than 70 hours’ worth of video lessons and 40 archived episodes of the LSAT Channel. All the other resources of the In-Person course is also supplied.
Price: From $1,099 Online. From $1,199 In-Person.
Website: View website.
2. The Princeton Review – LSAT Prep
The Princeton Review also offer their award winning course in three different formats.
This is the course for you if you need to study whenever you have some time to spare. Here is what you can expect:
- Quality online video lessons. You have access to more than 150 hours’ worth of lessons, accessible whenever you want and as many times as you want.
- Practice tests. You will be able to sit for six full-length diagnostic practice tests and have access to numerous drills and other practice materials.
- Comprehensive library of study material. More than 1800 pages of study material to help you master every aspect of the test. This includes access to all previously released LSAT questions.
LSAT Ultimate Live/Online
This comprehensive online course offers more than 84 hours’ worth of fully interactive online lessons. All lessons are recorded so you can review them if you wish to. You can also sit for six full-length simulated LSAT tests, proctored in real time and with full feedback provided. Numerous online videos and drills will also help you to prepare more thoroughly.
This is the option for those that do not need the comprehensive coverage of the Ultimate LiveOnline course but that simply want an overview of the LSAT system.
Price: From $649 Self-Paced. From $949 Fundamentals. From $1,099 Ultimate Classroom
Website: View website.
3. PowerScore LSAT Courses
PowerScore offers three different courses too:
In-Person LSAT Course
Here is what you will be paying for:
– Expert instructors. PowerScore guarantees that all its instructors scored better than 170 on the LSAT themselves.
– Comprehensive content. You will receive more than 64 hours’ worth of live and interactive instruction, including four content test reviews.
– Additional content. You will also have access to more than 45 hours’ worth of additional content on subjects related to the actual test day.
– Dress rehearsals. You will sit for four full-length practice tests and you will receive full and comprehensive feedback every time.
PowerScore Online Course
This online course is just like an in-person course except for the fact that you interact with your fellow students and the instructor online. Expect this:
– Interactive online lessons. 12 Scheduled online lessons, each lasting three hours, will make sure that everything necessary to prepare for the LSAT is covered. Lessons are recorded and you can review them at any time you like.
– Additional lessons. There are more than 45 hours worth of other lessons that will help you be at your very best on test day.
– Course Books. You will have access to an extremely comprehensive library of study material.
– Tests. Apart from the four formal proctored tests, you will also be able to opt for 37 additional practice tests.
On Demand Course
This course is very much like the Online course but the lessons are recorded and can be accessed at any time. It is not interactive, however.
Price: $995 Online. $1395 In-Person. $175/month On Demand.
Website: View website.
4. 7SAGE LSAT
7SAGE promises that their course will give you at least an 11 point advantage over everyone else. They say:
Expert course developers. Their LSAT Prep course has been developed by two graduates from Harvard that has experience in teaching many thousands of other students online and in person.
Affordable. The 7Sage course claims to be the most affordable quality course available to hopeful LSAT students.
High quality video instruction. 7Sage prides itself on providing students with detailed but short video lessons that help them cope with the content at their own pace and time.
Price: from $179 for LSAT Starter. $349 LSAT Premium. $549 LSAT Ultimate.
Website: View website.
5. Manhattan LSAT Prep Courses
Manhattan offers prospective students four courses:
Interact LSAT Course
This online course is aimed at students that needs flexibility. You will be guided through interactive video lessons by expert instructors, some of them award winning lawyers and you will always have the choice to review material again. You can study whenever and wherever you like. Manhattan Prep maintains that the entire LSAT prep route, even online, can actually be made into a fun journey!
Manhattan Complete Course
This comprehensive in-person course offers a lot:
- Expert instructors. Manhattan promises that all its instructors are 99th percent LSAT achievers.
- Real practice experiences. All the drills and practice sessions are based upon the latest LSAT questions.
- Interactive video combined with classroom instruction. This is a unique approach. Students first cover the basics on their own by means of interactive video lessons. The subsequent in-person lessons then tackle the issues that proved to challenge the students.
- Learning technology. Manhattan uses the latest teaching techniques to ensure that their students gain maximum advantage from the course.
Manhattan Private Tutoring
Manhattan Private Tutoring is available either online or in-person.This is ideal for those with the budget to afford the advantage of professional personal attention.
Manhattan LSAT CrunchTime
This is ideal for those students that want to gain an extra edge in the final weeks before the test. This course is presented by the perfect scorer Laura Damone.
Price: $49 (Crunchtime). $375 Interact LSAT Course. $1199 Live Course.
Website: View website.
7. Other Courses & Resources
- Velocity Test Prep
- Day of the test
- Your LSAT score
- Las Vegas LSAT Classes
- Oxford Seminars
LSAT Prep Courses – Conclusion
Taking on the LSAT is a daunting adventure. You cannot embark on this journey without proper and exhaustive preparation. Hopefully one of the courses reviewed here will help you succeed on your quest to gain admission to a top law school.
Best ACT/SAT Prep Courses 2018?
- Kaplan LSAT Prep Courses | ★★★★★
- The Princeton Review – LSAT Prep | ★★★★★
- PowerScore LSAT Courses | ★★★★☆
- 7SAGE LSAT| ★★★★☆
- Manhattan LSAT Prep Courses | ★★★★★
Other Test Prep Courses: ACT/SAT Prep Courses
Image credit: Photo by Wadi Lissa on Unsplash