Responsive Website Development & Design
|University:||August University of London|
|Structure||6 Courses, Projects|
If you dream of becoming a web designer or if you want to enhance your existing skills, then the Create A Web Experience series is certainly one of the best web design courses and meant for you. In six comprehensive courses, this series covers all the basics of modern full-stack web development. More advanced topics such as visualization, animation and API’s are also covered.
Teachers – These courses have been designed by the August University of London and offered under the auspices of Coursera. A team of five professionals from the university presents the courses (Dr. Marco Gillies, Dr. James Ohene-Djan, Dr. Matthew Yee-King, Dr. Mick Grierson and Dr. Kate Devlin).
Focus – While all the theory underlying the concepts covered during the course are comprehensively discussed, the focus is upon the practical application of your new knowledge. The specialization series consists of six courses, each presented in approximately one month.
Material – High-quality video lectures, additional readings, regular practical assignments and peer reviews will help you to succeed. At the end of the series, you will be expected to submit a comprehensive Capstone Project.
- Everything you need to complete this series successfully is included in your course fees. You will have access to professional high definition video lectures and additional readings.
- Regular practical assignments will help you to implement your new knowledge in practice. Regular peer reviews will also provide you with valuable feedback.
- You will be issued with a certificate once you successfully complete the specialization series.
- Course duration varies from four to six weeks. You will need between two and four hours each week to dedicate to your studies. Most students are able to complete the entire series in approximately six to eight months.
- You can expect support from the instructional team at all times.
- If you miss a specific course, or fail to complete it successfully, you can transfer to the next occasion when that specific course is presented and you will not lose any credits in the process.
Create A Web Experience Specialization – Topics
Once you successfully completed this specialization you will be able to create, test and implement a mobile-ready web application from start to finish. Your six courses will proceed as follows:
- After an overview of the course during week one, you will learn how to use HTML to create a navigation bar, how to create lists and how to embed images.
- Week two focuses on CSS. You will link CSS files to your HTML documents. You will also discover how to control text layout and how to customize hyperlink formatting.
Course 2: Responsive Web Design
- Week one kicks off with discussions on all the most important web design principles. At the end of the week, there will be a peer review on these principles.
- In week two the principles discussed during the previous week is put into practice. You will be creating a basic Bootstrap website with multiple layouts.
- The last week of this course is dedicated to building a full gallery application. You will implement a search function and work with complex data structures.
Course 3: Introduction to Meteor.js Development
During the next four weeks, you will be using Meteor.js and MongoDB to create a professional multi-user website. Your website will feature security measures, user authentication and key database operations.
- In week one you will install the Meteor tools and then learn how to define a template helper and template event listeners. Your efforts will be subjected to peer review.
- Creating Mongo Collections and using Mongo to find and insert is what week two is all about. You will also learn how to control a Bootstrap modal from Meteor.
- Week three teaches you how to use Mongo filters and how to establish user authentication. At the end of the week, you will implement an infinite scroll.
- Week four covers security and routing. You will add basic security measures to your application as well as multiple routes.
In this course, the time has come for developing more advanced web applications. You will learn how to control data read and write access. You will access your database and server shells and use the SimpleSchema System in order to validate data and generate input forms. You will indeed learn a lot during the next four weeks:
- In this, the first week of the course, you will be accessing MongoDB on the command line. You will check for a valid return and identify reactive data sources within the Monteor framework. You will also use iframes to create DOM’s.
- The second week focuses on customizing user accounts and to search for and add user packages to an application. You will also learn how to query MongoDB collections.
- Week three sees you publishing and subscribing models of MongoDB filters. You will learn about asynchronous execution and you will implement in-place content editing.
- Week four: Now you create an exceptional application using special Meteor folders. You will use multiple page applications and generate data entry forms.
Course 5: Responsive Website Tutorials and Examples
This is an exciting course; you will see examples of collaborative and interactive web applications. You will learn how to create such sites yourself. You will also learn how to design and create websites that conform to the exact expectation of your clients. This is what the next four weeks hold:
- Right away you will dive into the web development world. You will produce a web development portfolio containing all the content features.
- In week two you will be introduced to collaborative applications; in this case the music machine. You will learn how to create such applications and how to integrate the web audio API in your applications.
- In week three you progress to the second collaborative application; drawing. You will learn how to use d3js to create a canvas. You will change the attributes of that canvas and create client code to insert data.
- Week four is about creating a data visualization application. In this final week of the course, you will learn how to use external data to create interactive visualizations.
Course 6: Responsive Website Development and Design Capstone
The time has now come for completing and submitting your specialization Capstone Project. You will create a fully functional data-driven website that will aim to solve a particular problem.
- In the first week you will be informed what exactly the aim of your Capstone Project is. You will brainstorm ideas and perform a SWOT analysis to clarify your ideas.
- During week two your ideas must be transformed into reality and present your intended processes for peer review.
- Week three see you put your ideas into digital format. You will also understand the purpose of a site skeleton and you will create design wireframes.
- In weeks four and five you will build your application. In week six, the final week of the final course in this specialization, you will submit your completed project.
You need no prior experience or any other qualifications in order to enroll for and successfully complete this specialization series.
Create A Web Experience, Specialization, August University of London – Conclusion
The Create A Web Experience series of specialization courses will most certainly equip you with all the knowledge and skills needed to become a professional website developer. The overwhelmingly positive feedback from previous students is a definite indicator that this course is well worth attending.