English for Business, Specialization
|University:||University of Washington|
|Structure||5 Courses, Projects|
In this Coursera Specialization to Build English Skills for Business, University of Washington, you will spend 5-6 months working on five different courses with real-life scenarios, so that you may become well versed in effective business communication skills.
Who is it for? These courses are specially designed for those who look for a comprehensive path in a specific area such as web development or ever more specific like Ruby, Rails, Python, Java, or etc.
Requirements: Students partaking in this Specialization should have studied at least two years of formal language, and have an intermediate level English ability. All courses are in English with English, Mongolian, and Traditional Chinese subtitles available for some portions as well.
Each course uses different mediums to present information, so that your learning needs will be met. Course content is taught through:
- Engaging videos
- Resourceful reading
- Vocabulary lists
- Discussion opportunities amongst peers
- Peer review
- Practice quizzes
Instructor: This Specialization is accredited through the University of Washington, and upon successful completion you will receive Certification to show your skills on LinkedIn or a resume.
In the first course, Business English: Networking, you will get an overview of the Specialization in its entirety, and take a proficiency test to evaluate whether this course is suitable for you.
Through Course 1, you will learn:
- Determine your abilities in business English communication
- How to present yourself in a discussion medium
- Develop networking skills along with relevant vocabulary
- Learn how to format and create emails appropriate to the job
Course 2: Meetings is four weeks long, and focuses on meetings, specifically meeting vocabulary, etiquette, writing reports, and creating proposals. You will:
- Set up a meeting by both email and telephone
- Create meeting expectations and procedures for both teleconferences and onsite meetings to create proposals
- Present a report and summarize meeting topics
- Use relevant vocabulary
Lasting for four weeks, Course 3: Planning & Negotiating hones in on creating and holding a business event at an appropriate venue. In addition, you will further your language skills to not only negotiate successfully during an event, but to write and present an announcement as well. You will learn how to:
- Properly exchange information
- Leave an appropriate a voicemail
- Interview, compare, and select venues for a business event
- How to make an effective negotiation and what to allow in them
- Deal and resolve potential problems with relevant language
- Organize and announcement an event
Course 4: Making Presentations, delves into language and communication practices, so that you can develop effective English presentations. At the end of this course, you will apply your learned knowledge to create an influential presentation with charts and graphs in order to market your selected city as a venue. You will learn:
- Attention grabbing ways to give presentations with transitions and conclusions
- How to describe and share data with created charts and graphs
- How to use persuasive verbal and body language
- Ways to market a location
- How to prepare and present for your associates
Course 5 is the final course in the Specialization with an overall goal to show your competence in presenting, writing, and language for business settings through a Capstone Project. You will:
- Network and introduce yourself amongst peers
- Create and present a finalized mini business plan
- Review marketing ideas
- Learn and apply financial terms
- Practice persuasive skills
- Practice creating and presenting a pitch
Build English Skills for Business, Specialization – Verdict, Coupon
Throughout this Specialization, you will be learning and gathering the material needed to successfully complete a Capstone Project in the final course. By using the learned methods of interaction such as formal writing as well as visual and audio skills, will be able to apply your new business English communication abilities.