Academic English, Writing, Specialization
|University:||University of California, Irvine|
|Structure||5 Courses, Projects|
In the Coursera Specialization ‘Academic English – Transform Your Writing Skills’, you will work through five courses, so that you may become a strong writer in both the academic and professional field.
These courses are individually designed for those who want to strengthen their writing and research skills. More specifically it is aimed at preparing high school graduates and those whose first language is not English for demanding collegiate level work.
Students taking this course should have an intermediate, or high school level command of reading and writing in English. All courses are in English with English subtitles, but subtitles are available in Vietnamese, Spanish, and Chinese (Simplified) for some portions as well.
Each course uses different mediums to present information, so that your learning needs will be met. Course content is taught through:
- Engaging videos
- Resourceful readings
- Discussion opportunities amongst peers
- Peer practice and reviews
- Practice quizzes
- Projects to apply gained knowledge
This Specialization is accredited through the University of California, Irvine and upon successful completion you will receive Certification to show your skills on LinkedIn or a resume.
In the first course: Grammar and Punctuation, you will refresh your English grammar and write effectively in order to build a solid foundation of skills for the remainder of the Specialization courses. You will:
- Learn how to use commas, semicolons, and conjunctions appropriately
- Differentiate between complex and compound sentence structures
- Create parallel structures
- Understand sentence variety
- Understand verb tenses and uses
Course 2: Getting Started with Essay Writing focuses on the three different types of academic essays you will encounter—compare/ contrast, cause/effect, and argument. You will develop the skills to create an engaging thesis statement along with well-written body paragraphs. Additionally, you will:
- Learn how to construct effective introductions, thesis statements, and conclusion paragraphs
- Discuss the differences in essay types, their uses, and how to create them
- Practice arguments
Course 3: Advanced Writing fosters a growth in the level of your academic writing, so that you can fully be prepared for collegiate work expectations including the topics of plagiarism, sources, and citations. You will learn:
- How to develop a refined argument essay
- What plagiarism is and how to avoid it in your own work
- Use sources appropriately and effectively
- How to smoothly transition between ideas and articles
- How to analyze articles and develop a personal opinion
- Create a thesis statement based on your opinion and readings
In Course 4: Introduction to Research for Essay Writing is the final academic course before the ultimate Capstone project. This course is dedicated to prepare you in completing the Capstone project and writing a research paper successfully. You will:
- Choose potential topics for your research paper
- Learn how to take good notes
- Organize your material
- Find appropriate sources and avoid plagiarism
- Create an outline for a research paper
- Understand use of proper language
- Create a Works Cited page
- Use MLA citations appropriately
Finally, in Course 5’s Project: Writing a Research Paper, you will apply all of the knowledge gained throughout the Specialization to complete the final Capstone project. The Capstone project requires you to create an academic a 7 to 8 page research paper from the ground up. You will be required to:
- Avoid plagiarism and use authentic material
- Create an annotated bibliography and works cited page
- Use MLA format
- Perform research and select a topic
- Create an outline
Academic English – Coursera, University of California – Summary, Coupon
Upon successfully completing this Transform Your Writing Skills Specialization, you will be well versed in the English language—from the basic grammar to the final production of an academic research paper.
This program will guide you into becoming a powerful writer, so that you may succeed in both the college classroom and the professional field.